Thursday, February 3, 2011

paradox



i moved to taiwan nine years ago today! with nine years of field research under my belt (ha ha), i would like to comment on what is perhaps the most intriguing paradox of taiwanese culture:

most people are in such a hurry that they refuse to wait for you to get out of an elevator or a subway car before they rush in (virtually trapping you), yet they have the extreme patience to gladly stand still on a slow upwards-moving platform that they could easily walk up. of course, my response to both situations is the EXACT opposite. though they sometimes infuriate me, these idiosyncrasies are what define a place, right? taiwan friends, don't worry, i still love you. just don't run me over in the MRT, ok? :)

1 comment:

  1. It drives me nuts when we're in an airport and Peter refuses to walk on one of those moving walkways. I've finally started to get him moving ... sometimes!

    ReplyDelete